“Just War” Debates and Evolving Uses of Force
- Moving beyond academic critique and arm’s length critiques of defense policy from a “just war” perspective to discussions within military circles based on a more interdisciplinary perspective
- Engaging with future peace and security policymakers to update the “moral vocabulary” around the use of force to take into account the new dilemmas of force short of war, such
Issue Areas: Military Issues, Traditional Peace and SecurityEngagement Experiences: Arms length writing for policy audiences
Engaging With Policymakers
- Identifying and understanding the limits and failures of policy expertise, as well as the role and nature of policy ignorance when engaging with policymakers, while acknowledging that policymakers who work in the field of economics are often under a great deal of pressure to get things right
- Approaching issues as a political economist and a social theorist,
Issue Areas: Economic Issues, Larger Systems: Economy, Environment, TechnologyEngagement Experiences: Arms length writing for policy audiences
Engaging to Reform U.S. Democracy Promotion
Background and Policy Setting
Catherine Herrold studies how local civic actors—including nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), grassroots groups, and philanthropic foundations—promote economic development and democratic political reform. Her first book project examined how leaders of Egyptian NGOs and foundations understood the concept of “democracy” and promoted it in the wake of the 2011 Arab Spring uprisings. In 2020, Herrold published the... Read More
Issue Areas: American/Comparative Public PolicyEngagement Experiences: Arms length writing for policy audiences
Engaging on the Creation of Cybersecurity Norms
The challenge: How to advise on complex phenomena (creating cybersecurity norms) when the narrative surrounding them is oversimplified.
- In particular, it is difficult to explain to policymakers the intersubjectivity of norms and their sociological basis in a way that is immediately policy relevant.
- The “problem” in question often involves many dimensions not related to norms at all.
Issue Areas: Digital / Cyber Space, Larger Systems: Economy, Environment, TechnologyEngagement Experiences: Arms length writing for policy audiences, Close collaboration with policymakers
Public Questions & Answers
How to engage with companies
Issue Areas: Corporate / NGO EngagementEngagement Experiences: Arms length writing for policy audiences